We want to get a digital camcorder.
There’s a wedding coming up, some travelling, later perhaps more interesting “subjects”, and then of course there’s the gadget dimension.
Among the criteria for selection are:
- Relative ease of use: OK, I’m geeky, but devices with less than 85 keys are often impossible to figure out…
- Dependability: We’re prepared to back up to HD and other media, but we still want to be able to trust the media.
- Quality: The raw footage should be raw, not compressed. The images are more important than the sound.
- Future proof: I know, not possible in this world, but it seems it’d be OK to go for HD?
- Comfortable: Small and handy, likely to just be available and ready to go when needed.
Currently on the short list is the Sony HDR-HC3. Compared to its predecessor, the HC1, there are improvements as well as changes to the worse, but overall it seems it’s progress.
What to do?
ObSemWebAngle: Ideally, it should also include GPS integration and other ways of content description! ;-)